Monday, November 25, 2013

Rockin' and Rollin'

This week is Thanksgivukkah. These two holidays will never collide again, at least not in our lifetime. I had a couple other once-in-a-lifetime things happened last week*:

Sara (the one who made me try out for derby) and I got pierced to celebrate her birthday. OK, I've been pierced before. OK, many times. But this was the first time I went with a friend to celebrate a milestone. These are mile-marker nose studs.

League pictures were take up at the State Capitol building in the bitter cold (which was still warmer than the Derby Depot.) I really, really, really hope they turn out well. Because I organized the shoot. I wanted to find a location other than the Depot. The Capitol building offered many cool staging areas. Steps, columns, and statues were all incorporated into the shoot. The pictures should be great with all of those fabulous women starring in them.

Then there was this. I was was asked to appear on an internet radio talk show. Host Tim Manson asked me about my MS diagnosis and how it took me to roller derby. I was so nervous! But it was fun, and I think it turned out well.

http://www.voiceamerica.com/episode/74223/moving-forward

I'm in the second segment, if you want to take a listen. Let me know what you think. Unless, of course, you think I sound like a dork. Then just lie and tell me it was great.

I was also interviewed for an article published on EverydayHealth.com.  Bodybuilder and fellow MS-er David Lyons writes a column for them called MS Fitness Challenge: Overcoming MS challenges on the road to fitness. And last week, he wrote about me.

http://www.everydayhealth.com/columns/ms-fitness-challenge/426/

Don't be all jealous about how hot I look in that picture. I just can't help myself.

One more interesting thing happened. I was at the gym (by itself a rare occurrence, I know), and the man on the treadmill next to me asked what I was listening to on my iPod Shuffle. We started talking about our workout playlists. And I thought I would share a couple of my go-to lady jams.

Aside--I'm sorry, what? You haven't seen Pitch Perfect? Stop reading this now and go watch it.

Oh, you're back. Wasn't that acca-awesome?

Anyway, here are a few highlights from my workout playlist, which is cleverly titled Workout. What can I say? I'm a wordsmith. A poet.

The song with the top number of plays is Know How by Young MC. I have loved this song since I was in college working at a record store. Remember when there were record stores? Remember when there were records? This song brilliantly uses a sample of the Shaft theme, creating a great beat. But it has super bonus points: it was used in the movie Whip It.

Next on the list is AC/DC's Thunderstruck. This is the ultimate crank-it-up, skate-your-jam tune. I believe that there is a law in 27 states making it illegal to listen to it below a volume of 11.

And now there are three movies you have to watch this weekend. This Is Spinal Tap is the Best. Musical. Ever.

I bring a little Girl Power into the mix, of course. Raise Your Glass by P!nk will have you singing out loud, which will annoy the other gym patrons. But you won't give a shit. If my little nieces grow up to be like P!nk--strong, tough, talented, fun--my work will be done.

I am not usually a big fan of song covers. But there are a couple of songs that, when covered, make you forget all about the original version. Among those are Ring of Fire by Social Distortion and Hurt by Johnny Cash. But when you take a song made famous by the royalty of rock and make it your own, it is going to be epic. Karen O and Trent Reznor took the Immigrant Song away from Led Zeppelin. You may have heard it during the opening credits of the American version of Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. (You don't need to see that one, but check out the Swedish original.) Put this song on your MP3 player. It will make you kick it up a notch.

And there is one song that has been released this year that I can listen to over and over. If you haven't heard Harlem by New Politics, download it, plug it into your car's stereo system, and crank up the volume. It will make you happy, I guarantee.*

Happy Thanksgivukkah everyone! Have a safe and happy holiday.

* Well, maybe they will happen more than once in my life, but these were the first times they happened.
** Happiness is not guaranteed. But I'm willing to bet you are smiling.




2 comments:

  1. Indeed, you are awesomely hot in that picture. Good interview! I haven't seen David Lyons' writing before, so thanks for introducing me to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Velma...I loved Scooby Doo as a kid. I thought she was the cool one, but what do I know. I was a chess and D&D playing soccer player through high school.

    I had never come across David Lyons stuff either. The part about the mother of a kid with heart problems struck home as that's my family too.

    Thanks for the post and listen.

    ReplyDelete