Monday, December 30, 2013

2014: Chapter 1

I think New Year's resolutions are kind of dumb. Honestly, we shouldn't need a calendar change to do something that makes our lives better. But I don't think it can be argued that 2013 was a fairly shitty year for me. There were some wonderful highlights, but I'm not too sad to be seeing this year in my rear view mirror.

So, I'm making some goals for myself as we start 2014. We can call them resolutions, because I guess that is what they are. But what I really want them to be are things that I can be proud of one year from now. So, with that...

Pass my Derby minimums: I'm going to do it. Before the end of 2014. I'm going to go to every practice, accept every invitation to skate, and have wheels under me as often as I can. I'm going to work my ass off. And I am going to power through and overcome the fear that is making me hesitate. No more of that. It's time to put the fear behind me.

Read: I want to read real, honest-to-god literature. I want to hear the spine of a beautifully bound book crack as I open it. I want to smell the printing and dog-ear the pages. I want to check off titles from my growing list of suggestions. I'm going to resolve to read every day. I don't think this one will be too difficult for me. I just have to allow myself the time.

Move my bedroom downstairs: I'm going to create a great space downstairs in the rarely used basement of my split level house. I'm going to put up a wall in the hall to convert a larger bedroom, a tiny bedroom and a bathroom into a master suite. I'm going to buid an amazing walk-in closet, with a pink chandelier. I'm going to have a reading nook with a cozy chair and a place to put a cup of tea. I'm going to make myself a little retreat. Everyone needs a little retreat.

Work out 5 days a week: This really shouldn't be too hard if I get off my butt and do it. Two times are no-brainers--Derby practice Wednesday and Saturday. Two more times should be easy to accomplish--hit the gym on Tuesdays and Thursdays while Kidlet is at karate. One time of climbing onto my stationary bike each week, then done and done. Of course, I want to be in better shape. Of course, I want to be fit. But the reason I need to do this is to make me a better skater. See also: Passing Minimiums  



Accept Kidlet's invitations: I need to go play video games with him. I need to break out a board game when he says there is nothing to do. When he wants to snuggle, I need to open my arms, even if that means I have to stop doing whatever I was doing. What the hell am I ever doing that can't be delayed for 20 minutes? There will be a day in the near future when he won't want to watch a movie with me. So I can't waste those opportunities now.

Eat better: This one goes hand-in-hand with the exercise and derby goals. I need to do a better job of fueling my body. I am going to make an effort to add all sorts of colors to my plate. I'm going to figure out the way I like brussel sprouts. I'm going to have heathy, but yummy snacks that are always on hand. I'm going to figure out the best way to power up before skating and to refuel after. Life is too short to skip dessert. But I'll try to mix in some cucumber salad first.

Visit someplace new: Like the swallows of San Juan Capistrano, my family loves to go back to the places they love. And I love going there with them. But this year--and every year, really--I am going to find a way to explore someplace new. I might take a road trip this year. Maybe I'll find a cheap flight to... wherever. I've got a list of places I want to see.

As an aside--I'm a list maker. Just in case you haven't figured that out.

Sleep: Again and again, I am reading that getting enough sleep is the best thing you can do for your overall health. I am going to commit it a firm (but sometimes negotiable) bedtime that allows me 8 hours of sleep. I think that is my magic number. I know it helps with my fatigue if I have a good night's sleep. But I am learning that enough sleep is vital to overall health. This seems like a fairly easy way to give myself a boost into awesomeness. 

Share special things with Kidlet: I'm going to make sure I teach him my favorite games, show him my favorite movies, and give him my favorite books. I already got him to watch Die Hard with me, as it is my favorite Christmas move. That made for a really special memory. For both of us.

Hydrate: This might be the most challenging one... No more Diet Coke. I love my DC. But, it is really not good for me. I need to drink more plain old ordinary water. I need to have a water bottle with me a all times. I need to be sipping on it all day. I need to learn to take my coffee black, and my tea unsweetened. Yeah. Wish me luck.

Acknowledge the Glad: Even in the shitty times, there are occasional moments of feeling glad. I'm not sure happiness is attainable, at least for me. But I do know that I can feel glad. I can feel that spark that makes me smile and feel gratitude for that. I am going to make sure I take a breath and appreciate that moment of glad. I am going to write them down on a notepad. I am going to revisit those moments when I need a little shot of gladness. I think I'll use my phone. I need an app for that.

So there it is. My list of New Year's Resolutions. I'll keep you all posted on how I'm doing. And feel free to check in once in a while and give me a little nudge. Everyone can use a little nudge every now and then. 

Happy New Year! Here's to a great 2014.




No comments:

Post a Comment