Thursday, February 13, 2014

The Savage Beast*


I’ve written before about my workout playlist that I have on my iPod to motivate me. I also have a playlist that makes my heart feel better. And I sing along with great gusto (while alone in the car).

Of course, the heartbroken among you probably have the Adele and Alanis songs on repeat. I am recommending the following tunes to supplement those**:

Since U Been Gone by Kelly Clarkson

Since U been gone
I can breathe for the first time
I'm so moving on
Thanks to you, now I get what I want

Some people are lucky enough to have never experienced being crushed under the boot of someone that claimed to love them. They don’t understand the very real, physical pain. When you break up, your body triggers a fight or flight reaction that can—quite literally—take your breath away. When someone gets betrayed, their opiate levels plummet, causing real hurt. Here’s the good news: eating chocolate causes opiate levels to surge. Chocolate really does make you feel better. Pass the M&Ms, please.

Blow Me (One Last Kiss) by P!nk 

See also: So What and Raise Your Glass

I think I’ve finally had enough, I think I maybe think too much
I think this might be it for us
Blow me (one last kiss) 
Take it in
I mean what I say when I say there is nothing  left

Is there any feeling as simultaneously painful and freeing as the wave of emotion that covers you when you decide and accept that you do not have anything else to give a relationship? 

Gives You Hell by All-American Rejects

If you find a man that’s worth a damn and treats you will
Then he’s a fool, you’re just as well
Hope it gives you hell 
Tomorrow you’ll be thinking to yourself
Where did I go wrong?
But the list goes on and on

I change the lyrics to woman and she’s when I sing it out. I have a feeling the band wouldn’t mind. 

Before He Cheats by Carrie Underwood

I took a Louisville slugger to both headlights
I slashed a hole in all four tires
Maybe next time, he’ll think before he cheats 
I might have saved a little trouble for the next girl
'Cause next time that he cheats
You know it won’t be on me

I love this one on several levels. The first is that I believe Mr. E will ALWAYS cheat and lie, unless he gets some help and puts in some hard work. It’s a pathology that I was foolish enough to think we could fix together. But it's bigger than the both of us. 

I also like this one because E tried to teach me how to swing a bat. I love picturing me using those skills on his car. Not that I would, but it's nice to picture. 

Irreplaceable by Beyonce

You can pack all your bags
We’re finished
‘Cause you made your bed, now lay in it
I could have another you by tomorrow
Don't you ever for a second get to thinkin’
That you’re irreplaceable

Mr. E has said on occasion that he is sure I will never find another man like him. Here’s hoping he is right. I'm not strong enough for another earthquake. 

We Came to Smash by Martin Solveig

We came to smash, smash

This one is just plain loud and fun.
* Soothing the savage beast is actually misquoting the source material. The actual quote is:

Music has charms to soothe a savage breast

That is the first line from the tragedy The Mourning Bride, written in 1697 by William Congreve. He is saying that music can calm your inner turmoil and heal your heart, which happens to be right under your breast.

By the way, later in that play, Congreve writes:

Heaven has no rage like love to hatred turned
Nor Hell a fury like a woman scorned

Just sayin’.


**These songs will help heal your heart. But they will also help remind you that you are strong, smart, and beautiful. And you should be with someone who thinks he/she is the luckiest person on earth to get to be with you. Don’t settle for less. (And remind me of this every once in a while.)

No comments:

Post a Comment