Thursday, August 22, 2013

Improvements

I’m feeling stronger today.

My hand is feeling better. And I learned a new word: Paresthesias, a sensation of tingling, tickling, pricking, or burning of the skin. This is what I was experiencing in my hand and arm. I also learned that one of the best pharmaceutical remedies for it is actually a drug invented for something else. Amitriptyline is a pill developed as an antidepressant, but it has been found to be a powerful sleep aid and lessen the effects of paresthesias. Win, win, win. Sign me up.

(OK, quick aside. Can we all agree that I know the correct word for that hand burning sensation and just start calling it the Burning Annoyance? Easier to spell.)

And I had a great skate lesson. I am feeling more confident. People I skate with are starting to notice my improvement of both ability and endurance. I am learning the basics, becoming more comfortable, and starting to gain the confidence I need. And… I still haven’t done a crossover. But I will! Soon! Stay tuned for reports…

Here is what I am trying now: gliding on one skate. Moving forward in roller skates often involves having only one skate on the ground. I am trying to retrain my legs and my brain. I need to pick up my feet when I skate, and I need to spend some time keeping them up. Not at the same time, of course. That would be more like diving or riding a magic carpet.


I need to start walking like a duck, at least while skating. Toes out. This is the method of accelerating on skates. You make a V with your feet, then start stepping forward. Duck walk, fall, get up, rinse, and repeat. Just like Chuck Berry, without the guitar. 
He didn’t fall as much…

No comments:

Post a Comment