Thursday, August 29, 2013

The Internet Ruins Everything

I’m a Googler. When Dr. Sister was first talking to me about my MS diagnosis, one of the things that she told me to do was to stay off the Internet. This is why:

Here are the first few headlines on my Google news alert for Multiple Sclerosis. (Yes, I did stay off the Internet. For a good 45 to 50 minutes.)

How Will the Obamacare Out-of-Pocket Cap Delay Affect MS Patients?
Studies have shown that MS has one of the highest associated out-of-pocket expenditures. So this delay means that many MS patients will have to wait another 1-2 years before they see any financial relief or benefit. I am very, very lucky to have great health insurance provided by my employer. Without insurance, my weekly shot would cost me $37,544 a year.

New Study Casts Doubt on CCSVI as the Cause of Multiple Sclerosis
I’m not sure what this story means, except that scientists know a lot about what doesn’t cause MS.

FDA Probes Rare Brain Infection In Patient On Multiple Sclerosis Drug Gilenya
Because there wasn’t enough to worry about.


Then there is this:


Hey Sharon, I know you love your son. And People magazine cover editors, I know you want to sell magazines. But maybe we shouldn’t be perpetuating the myth that MS is fatal. I mean, no more than life is fatal. Wait, maybe Sharon meant she was going to turn Jack into a vampire? I smell some fan fiction!

And this:


Hey, who doesn’t deal with it like that? I know that my equestrian therapy not only eases my symptoms, it boosts the economy by employing my stable mucker. And my lawn has never been greener with all that horse shit. What's that you say Fox News? If we talk about Ann's horses, no one will notice Mitt's politics?

And don’t you love this one?


This was referenced on an MS support website. Doctor Death, the euthanasia guy. On a website about how to support people with MS. Really.

Even my beloved Amazon can betray me. Here is one of their top suggestions for reading up on MS.


Who knew it was that easy to overcome this? What the hell have I been bitching about? The secret to recovery can be found in these pages, and it can be yours for $18.75.

Yeah. Stay off the Internet. Well, except to read my blog.



No comments:

Post a Comment